Monastery Ostrog is a monastery of the Serbian Orthodox church located along the almost vertical cliff, high on the mountain Ostroska
Greda in Montenegro. It is dedicated to St. Vsilije of Ostrog.
It is located near Niksic, and is situated in a vertical cliff with a view on the plain Bjelopavlici. It was founded by the Herzegovinian Metropolitan Vasilije in the 17th century. He was born in 1610 and died in 1671. He was buried there and proclaimed saint and miracle worker after death. His body rests in the coffin of the church. The monastery was restored in 1923-1926 after the fire, in which had been saved church caves They represent a major heritage value.
The Church of St. Presentation (in the lower level of the monastery) was endowed by Vasilije of Ostrog, like the Church of the Holy Cross. Church of the Holy Presentation of the frescoes painted in the late 17th century. The Church of St. Cross is located in the upper monastery level and it was painted by the master Radul adapting frescoes to the natural shape of rocks. Around the church there are shelters and they make together building of united harmony with the natural surroundings. Ostrog Monastery is one of the most visited in the Balkans. It is visited by believers of all religions from all over the world.
At the foot of Mount St. Elias (873), opposite the entrance of Verige, on separating place of the Kotor and Risan bay, there is
town of Perast. It is known as the oldest settlement on the shores of the bay. There were found remains of a Neolithic culture
(3500 BC), as well as numerous archaeological finds, evidence of continuous settlement of Illyrian, Roman and early Christian
times to the present.
Perast, as a rare and wondrous phenomenon, we look through a unified whole town, the island and the sea. These elements were united both in physical and in the spiritual dimension of the city. Life of Perast takes place through all three elements simultaneously. Its special force and the uniqueness of the whole, lies in the pronounced conflict between the city and the sea. Their approach emphasize two islands, the very contrast each other. In this dialogue between the city is recognized the duality of the symbolism of basic principles - stone and water. What makes Perast as a city, regardless of its size, it is not only buildings of public character (churches, chapels, palaces, archdiocese, the former municipal court, fire station and church) but also refine level of urban structure. Scale, propositions, pace and size of the facilities are designing an urban area especially in the coastal part.
Mamula (in nautical charts generally introduced as Lastavica - Swallow) is a small island in the Adriatic Sea in
Montenegro, at the entrance to the Bay. It is located in Herceg Novi's part of the bay between the peninsula Lustica
and Prevlaka at 3,4 nautical miles away from Herceg Novi. It is circular with a diameter of 200 meters.
About 80% of the island occupies a fortress, which was built in the mid 19th century by Austro-Hungarian general Lazar Mamula, after which the island at the end got its name. During both world wars the fortress was used as a prison. In World War II it was on 30th May 1942 was taken over by Italian fascist and there were imprisoned partisans and anti-fascists from the surrounding area; then it has become known for cruel treatment. On these events in 1959 there was made film “Campo Mamula”.
Island today serves as a tourist attraction. In 2014, it caused the attention as the location Serbian horror film “Mamula”.
Zabljak Crnojevica is a medieval town and fortress at the mouth of the River Moraca in Skadar Lake, founded in the
era Vojislavljevića and Doclean kingdom in the 11th century, at that time a time Montenegrin capital.
Historical sources from the 15th century, the era of Stefan I Crnojević and Lord Ivan Crnojevic, Žabljak Crnojevića is described as a state center. From it he attempted to organize resistance against attacks of Ottomans through the plains around Skadar Lake. In Zabljak Crnojevica were the royal palace and the Church St.Đordjije. But the capital of the 1478 was finally taken, and Crnojevici have transferred the national center in the mountains, in the final at Cetinje.
Montenegrins Zabljak Crnojevica, throughout history, has repeatedly tried to win. For the time ruler Petar II Petrovic Montenegrin hero Kenjo Stankov Jankovic in 1835 with 12 comrades jumped inside the walls and captured Jakub aga with 60 soldiers. But Zabljak Crnojevica will remain until 1878 in the possession of the Ottoman Empire, from when it is permanently located in Montenegro.
© Copyright 2015 by FalcoNero - All Rights Reserved